Fisher's Theatre

600 Clement St. | map |

Opened: November 30, 1907. It was on the northwest corner of Clement and 7th Ave. It's listed as "Fischer's" in Henry's 1907-08 Theatrical Guide with a Mr. H. Bush as manager.  

Seating: 400

Closing: 1919. Jack Tillmany comments: "It's still listed in the telephone directory of 1 January 1919, but obviously was unable to compete with the 22 November 1918 opening of the grander and glorious-er Coliseum 2 blocks away, a typical pattern of that era."

Status:  The building later became the Bon Ami variety store. It was remodeled, perhaps in the 70s, to become a Bank of America branch.



An October 25, 1907 item from the Richmond Banner. Thanks to the indefatigable John Freeman for all the ads and articles from the Banner.



A November 29, 1907 ad in the Richmond Banner.



A November 29, 1907 item from the Richmond Banner. 



A December 6, 1907 item from the Richmond Banner.



New equipment! A June 5, 1908 item from the Richmond Banner. 



A September 4, 1908 ad in the Richmond Banner.



A November 13, 1908 item from the Richmond Banner.



New equipment again. A February 19, 1909 item from the Richmond Banner.



A 2017 view west on Clement. Jack Tillmany asks: "Could it be the building that's still there now which is housing Bank of America?" Photo: Google Maps



An aerial view of the Fisher's building. Photo: Google Maps - 2018

More information: Jack Tillmany's Arcadia Publishing book "Theatres of San Francisco" can be previewed on Google Books. It's available from Amazon or your local bookseller.

| back to top | San Francisco Theatres: by address and neighborhood | alphabetical list | list by architect | pre-1906 theatre list | home |

No comments:

Post a Comment